To anyone new to the world of vaping, the variety of e-liquids on the market can be intimidating and confusing, to say the least. Which to try first? What e-liquid has the right nicotine level for you? Throat hit or big clouds? These are all things to consider when choosing that perfect e-liquid.
E-liquids may or may not contain nicotine, and those that do are available in various strength range. There are two types of e-cigarette systems, open and closed. E-liquids for the former usually comes in a small bottle, while e-juice for the latter comes in a screw-on tank. The refilling systems for both cannot be interchanged.
PG and VG
PG and VG are the carriers used to dilute the flavouring and nicotine for your e-liquid. They typically make up around 80% of your vape solution. PG stands for Propylene Glycol. It’s tasteless and comes in a fairly thin consistency. It gives off a certain sensation to the throat (throat hit) that’s comparable to smoking. This substance can also trigger sensitivity in some people, so some are better off without it in their e-cigarettes.
Then there’s VG or Vegetable Glycerin. It has a thick consistency and a sweet taste. It also creates bigger clouds of vapour. Both VG and PG are considered sugar alcohols and do not cause intoxication.
Propylene Glycol is deemed safe by medical practitioners in the UK and can be found in inhalers and topical products. Vegetable glycerin, on the other hand, is a sweetener otherwise known as E422, and can be found in food products, medicine, beauty products, toothpaste, and liquor among others.
There are certain ratios you must follow depending on your taste and the requirements of your device. If you’re not too particular about throat hit, but want a lot of vapour, you can add more VG to your mix. But if you prefer the other way around, then add more PG.
If you prefer to vape discreetly, then you should consider using a high PG e-liquid as it creates less vapour when you exhale it. Finally, if you want to produce huge clouds when you exhale or get into the competitive world of cloud chasing, then use a high VG e-liquid.
You can also vape 100% PG or 100% VG if you prefer, but you have to make sure that your device is compatible with that purpose.
You’ll find that most e-liquids have PG and VG content combined but it is possible to mix two e-liquids together to create new flavours and change the PG/VG ratio. It is recommended that you only do this with simple flavours as doing it with more complex flavours can result in some pretty awful tasting flavours.
Set-Ups to Maximise Your E-liquids
Certain types of e-liquids and VG/PG ratio will work far better with a particular set-up in order to maximise the effect. This is why it is important to know which equipment works best with certain ratios. Here’s a quick guide to help you out:
- Sub-Ohm – This type of tank is high-powered and works well with high VG e-liquids. You’ll also need to refill your e-juice more often with this type of set-up.
- Clearomizers – This type of tank is more suitable for high PG e-liquids or those with a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Refrain from using it for high VG fluids since the coils of this device are not made to take thick fluid.
- Rebuildables – Typically, the same principle for premade coils applies to coils in rebuildables as well. If you’re going to use high VG liquid, make sure the coils in your device are sub-ohm. If you’re going to use fluids in the 50/50 ratio or high PG, make sure you use higher resistance coils.
E-liquid Brands Available in the UK
Are you looking to try your first e-liquid or just want to explore the other options available in the UK? Here are some brands for you to try.
- Ace of Vapez – this brand does not just sell e-liquids. They also aim to educate people on how to transition from smoking to vaping, and how giving up the latter can change your life. Aside from an online store, they also have 6 retails stores all over west midlands.
- Burst my Bubble – carries a number of premium bubble gum flavoured e-liquid.
- Cherub – known for its e-liquids delicious flavours which come in 50% VG: 50% PG ratios. Compatible with mouth-to-lung tanks.
- Chubby Bubble – a wide range of sweet and fruity bubble gum flavours that pack a punch.
- Cornish Liquids – Locally manufactured in Cornwall, it’s a range of e-liquids with ingredients from the UK, USA, and Europe.
- Eco Vape – offers a wide array of e-liquids from different places around the globe to meet the fickle-minded vaper’s need for variety.
- Ice Lollies – a brand by The Steepologist. It’s a range of e-juices inspired by fruity ice lollies flavours. Each flavour is made with High VG content to ensure fluffy vapour clouds and comes in nicotine strength of 3mg.
- Fine – known for its exquisite and mouthwatering flavours.
- Lolly Vape – Popular for its range of delicious mentholated (iced) lollipop flavours. Its VG/PG ratio is 80/20.
- Miami Drip Club – e-juices that come in a 70/30 VG/PG ratio and nicotine strengths of 3mg and 6mg. Each product has undergone proper safety and quality measures upon manufacturing/
- Mr. Coily – offers a variety of high VG signature concoctions.
- Monsta Vape – comes in exciting flavours like Zesty Grappy, Screamo Mango, and Citrus Punch. Add to that a dessert range that is sure to satisfy your sweet cravings.
- Nicohit – prides itself for offering high-quality UK-produced e-liquids created by vapers for vapers.
- Psycho Bunny – offers a wide range of flavours like candy, tropical fruit, and coffee blends. All of which have 70-80% VG ratio. Psycho Bunny specialises in sub ohm vaping.
- Riot Squad – known for its intense and bold flavours.
- Ruthless – has flavours inspired by well-loved snacks like sweet and sour apple, grape soda, and strawberry. If you’re after a more classic taste, there’s also a flavour inspired by cooling menthol. All its products are made of premium ingredients for maximum satisfaction.
- Steepologist – is available in a range of smooth and delectable flavours in 70/30 VG/PG ratio. All products come in 3mg nicotine strength and are made using pharmaceutical grade ingredients.
- Stika Bombz – has flavours inspired by popular sugary treats like fruit salad and Black Jacks.
- Vampire Vape – has a whopping 54 flavours of e-liquids to choose from. Each product is produced in a specialised facility using globally sourced ingredients to assure its quality.
- Vapersfog – also run by vapers, they specialise in formulating premium juices that are smooth in flavour and produces thick vapour.
- Vapour Days – has high-quality and affordable e-liquids for new and experienced vapers.
- Wick Liquor – specialises in unique complex blends and unique flavours. A must-try if you’re looking for a taste unlike any other.
Do’s and Don’ts of Using E-liquids
- Do not swallow the liquid itself.
- Avoid contact with your skin.
- Do wash your hands thoroughly after being in contact with it.
- Consult a doctor immediately if you experience an allergic reaction.